Wednesday, March 9, 2011

INDIA!

This moment seems a little surreal to me. I never thought that I would start a blog.  And yet here I am. . . ..  Blogging. The main purpose of starting this blog is because of a trip that Steve and I are planning on taking for our one year anniversary. We are going to INDIA! We plan on staying 3 weeks there and while we are there we are going to be doing some amazing work with the leprosy colonies that still remain there. A few months ago I had no idea that Leprosy was still a disease that existed. But Steve listened to the founder of an organization called Rising Star Outreach at BYU and when he told me about it we felt inspired to make the trip.  As we prepare for this we are learning a lot about the culture and the social stigma that these leprosy patients fall victim to. When someone has contracted the disease they are forced into these leprosy colonies where there is very poor living environments and are forced to become beggars to survive.  Rising Star has created a way to provide medical attention to these people while at the same time improving the lives of theses families. They are starting micro business opportunities for these people so that they no longer have to beg and can provide for their families. Steve and I are so very excited to become a part of this. And we would like to invite any others that might be inspired to help also by donating to this wonderful cause. You can donate in our name at www.risingstaroutreach.org/volunteerpartners.  

1 comment:

  1. Yay!! I am so glad you have a blog now!! Remember when you made fun of me for having one? ;) love you girly!!

    ReplyDelete